Sunday 15 July 2012

Document and Layout

My concept for my cubes and package was to portray my interest in Asian cultures, in particular the Japanese culture. I wanted to incorporate my love for origami, as well as keeping within my interpretation of Japanese aesthetic. The shape of my package and restraining device is based on a Japanese box in which sweets are displayed and served; the different types of sweets were kept separate by walls within the box. Keeping this in mind I began to think of my cubes as potential representations of the food within the original box. From this I decided to have half my cubes hold and display different origami, as an abstract representation of the sweets, I also decided that for simplicity the other half of the cubes would have a simple design printed on them. By this stage I had decided that the packaging would be made out of black card, to provide a simple backdrop for the origami, which would be the focus. I also did not want too many competing features, so that I could keep the simplicity that is found in the Japanese aesthetic. I then looked into the design that would go on the printed cubes. I wanted them to reference but not overpower the origami. To this end I created for highly simplified designs each relating to a different origami cube. These designs were then repeated on each side of the cube, and printed black on black, again to keep within the simple and clean aesthetic. The lid was also kept very simple and minimal, a flat square lid that would sit directly on top of the box. Having now completed the cubes and package, and seen it all put together I think that it does effectively show my interest in the Japanese style and my love of origami.

No comments:

Post a Comment