Wednesday 17 October 2012

Personal Statement

In my work I am motivated by a desire to be the best I can be and to continually push myself to be better. I enjoy problem solving and coming up with unique responses to situations; however I am sometimes held back by my hesitation to try things that I feel I can’t control or that are outside of my comfort zone. I am trying to continually push past this so that I do not limit myself to creating work that I feel safe with, when I could be pushing the boundaries and creating more interesting work.

I love design, in particular typography. I have a strong interest in learning how things work, not in an industrial design sense, but in the sense that I am always intrigued by how different people work and how they create the things they create. My strengths lie in design especially when it requires precision and patience. I enjoy creating using paper, both two dimensionally and three dimensionally. I also enjoy digital design.
Before coming to Brighton Bay I knew very little about the design world, and so far my best ‘introduction’ to contemporary designers was the AgIdeas Conference.  The designers, who inspired me most from AgIdeas, were MadeThought (Paul Austin and Ben Parker) and Dale Herigstad. I found MadeThought inspiring because I can see myself pursing a style of work similar to what they do in design (especially their branding and exhibition work). I like the way they focus on simplicity and the idea. Dale Herigstad’s presentation opened my mind up to the vast possibilities that working in design in the future can offer. I was fascinated by the possibilities that new interfaces offer and the way that new technology is changing the way design works.

I can see myself being a very varied designer. There are many areas that I would like to consider working in and that I would like to experience such as animation, graphic design, visual effects, wayfinding design, typography design, book cover design, and branding. I definitely want to further my education in design, and find a bit more direction as to where I want to go. I know that whatever path I decide to follow within design, I want to be able to incorporate travel. I have a fascination with other cultures and I would really love to be able to see more of the world.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Certainly as you changes your activity during the work you have to choose out the different tactics and the ideas but sometimes it becomes difficult to get certain things revolving around your mind when you don't knows about the facts. personal statement samples

    ReplyDelete